How to Have a Healthy Mouth
- Brush teeth at least twice a day, especially after breakfast and before bedtime. It’s also a good idea to brush after lunch and snacks.
- Take your time when brushing. Spend at least 3 minutes each time you brush, making sure to brush all your teeth, not just the front ones.
- Spend some time on the sides of the teeth and don’t forget those back teeth. Brush away from your gums. Brushing properly helps to break down plaque (clear film that sticks to teeth).
- Be sure to use a soft bristle toothbrush and try to get a new toothbrush every 3 months.
- Another important step in keeping your teeth healthy is to floss. Slip the dental floss between each tooth and up along the gum line. The floss gets rid of food and plaque that’s hidden where your toothbrush can’t go.
- Be sure to visit the dentist regularly (at least twice a year). The dentist and hygienist will help keep your teeth extra clean, along with checking for signs of cavities or gum disease. They can also help you learn the best way to brush and floss.
- You also need to be careful about what you eat and drink. Remember the plaque on your teeth is waiting for that sugar to arrive. Eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables and drink water instead of sugar drinks like sodas and tea.
A healthy, beautiful smile shows inside and out. Our Lexington dentist is looking forward to hearing from you soon.